Thursday, April 9, 2009

Work that pinky

My little finger really wants to do what the other fingers do, but it has special needs. I've been working on exercises like this one for about 3 months now, and it's getting better. I expect to have to work on it for at least another 9 months before it shows the kind of improvement it aspires to.

In this exercise, use only your third and fourth finger. Your third finger plays the notes at the fifth fret, and your pinky handles all the others. Repeat the exercise for as long as you can stand it, but don't overstress your fingers. Watch that your first and second fingers stay hovering just above the strings and don't start to pull away, and also watch your general hand and thumb position, make sure everything stays where you normally want it.

At the same time, try make each note ring clear and true, and make sure your pick follows through on every stroke. Go as slowly as you need to, speed will come - this is a long-term investment.

2 comments:

  1. Hi there...I just found your blog recently and I really enjoy it...I especially like the tabs you post and tips...I actually took your advice and practiced for about a half hour last night all the time standing up.

    I have been focusing on the pinky lately also. I have found that the "FFCP" exercises are great for that...but I also use violin exercises like the one your posted...I want to get my pinky in line with the rest of them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments rekx, I'm glad you're enjoying it. I'm going to try to add new tab and ideas each week. Feel free to chime in anytime, I really appreciate any advice or suggestions. I have done a few FFCP exercises, but only half-heartedly, so I should probably look into it more.

    ReplyDelete