Saturday, May 9, 2009

John Duffey, Redwood Hill and triplets

Here's a nice little triplet workout. Redwood Hill is a very pretty tune. Written by Gordon Lightfoot, the Country Gentlemen made it bluegrass. Eddie Adcock's banjo part in the first part of the break is beautiful, as is John Duffey's 2nd half. I have two recordings of this, and on each they do much the same break twice in the song - and why not when it sounds this good. On the "Live in Japan" album, Duffey goes triplet crazy towards the end of the second break. Notice how he uses hammer-ons, especially in the first triplet in measure 6, to keep his pickstrokes orderly. That particular passage is difficult for my right hand, and I think most people who aren't John Duffey would need to work that up slowly to nail it like he does at 220bpm.

In measure 10 I shift up to A position (fourth fret) because I think that's how it sounds like he did it, but you may find a better way.

4 comments:

  1. very cool...thanks for the post and the tab...I am going to run through this tonight...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're into in Rekx, I just can't get enough John Duffey these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. me too...I am way into Duffey...his playing style was so raw and charged...I need more of that...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks again for posting this tab...the arrangement really is quite pretty...I like the way Duffey apparently is staying in position for all of these tasty licks...I also like that C# that he employs = tasty.

    ReplyDelete